September 4, 2011

The Food Issue

Even a simple thing as walking on the streetmarket or supermarket I find it very amusing and interesting. I've seen so many weird products that require a whole lot of fantasy to come up with (I save this for another day). When it comes to food I think most things like meat, vegetables, dairy products as well as imported products are relatively expensive. Well, except for instant noodles that is cheap and seems to be a big industry here. It's natural that there are so many restaurants here because most people don't cook at home.

Normal sausages to the left and GIANT sized to the right at Shilin Food Market.

Noodles, noodles, noodles. Several shelves with just noodles with different lenght, width and texture. At SOGO Fresh Market.

Jelly in plastic tubes.

Ox tongue. I try to find a word but I'm speechless (so are the the oxes).

A fish head. Nothing more, nothing less.

Since I don't have a kitchen or even a microwave I cannot cook here. My family jokes with me that when I'm back in Sweden I may have forgotten have to cook (haha!). But there is a water machine (because the tap water is to filthy to drink. Thumbs up for a glass of fresh and cold Swedish tap water!). From the machine one can get hot water, room temperature water and cold water. I've tried instant grain porridge but... I kind of prefer real "havregrynsgröt".

The unbearable water machine!

A pack of instant grain porridge. It tastes sweet and milky.

No comments:

Post a Comment