September 1, 2011

Who I am

Post- OCAC and time to reflect. Participating in the summer term of OCAC 2011 was indeed a good experience. Not only to learn Chinese with good teachers, go on many field trips and meet interesting and fun people, but also to discuss the minor and major culture differences between Asian and Western culture. For example, asians often use a herbal oil against mosquito bites while most Western people would just scratch the bite. When I was younger I often found it hard to answer the simple question: "Where are you from?" Well I was born and raised in Sweden so I can speak Swedish fluently (this may surprise people that don't know me in Sweden but I guess it's the same thing as when I see an obvious non-Chinese speak Chinese) but with Asian background (apparently, just look at me). At home-home we eat all kinds of food from spicy vietnamese food, noodles to "köttbullar" and pasta. Also, we celebrate Chinese New year as well as Christmas and New Year (we seem to seize every chance to eat and have a good time... :P )

Things aren't always black and white and with time (as the minor identity crisis from the young teenage faded) I'm glad to have on foot in Westerna culture and the other one in the Asian culture because it has enriched me in many ways.

In my opinion, this song is sort of the soundtrack for in the OCAC programme:

No comments:

Post a Comment